When real estate demand exceeds supply, consider a hoteling approach to maximize available space and to ensure an orderly process.
Hoteling is based on reserving desks with a definitive check in/out time. It’s an ideal approach for companies with a smaller desk estate or who are looking to move away from a 1:1 desk ratio.
With trends towards more localised and smaller satellite offices, it makes sense to have a solution that maximizes the use of this resource while ensuring that workers get the workspace they need.
A hoteling strategy is driven by technology which:
1) Is mobile. Workers should be able to log into the app from a mobile device for the ultimate in utility and convenience.
2) Is powerful. In order to get staff buy-in the software needs to be easy to use while providing all the flexibility they need. For example, they may need to book meeting rooms and/or catering while they are in the office – the app needs to able to manage their whole working day.
3) Is intuitive. With floorplan booking it’s now easy for staff to select and book a desk. The floorplan also offers a great visual aid for locating colleagues and finding a socially distanced desk.
4) Is flexible. When space really is at a premium, anywhere can become a hot desk with reverse hoteling, which makes it easy to take fixed desks or small offices and convert them into temporary hot space.
5) Reduces no shows. With desk real estate in short supply, it can be frustrating when desks have been booked but are empty because the booker forgot to cancel. Auto-release of desks avoids this situation.
6) Offers a simple check in/out process. The check in/out process needs to be fast. With desk panels, staff can easily see when their desk is available and check in with a quick swipe of an RFID card or a QR code on their mobile device.
Creating the ideal working environment for hybrid workers is now a key priority for workplace leaders – and it’s as much about creating a great experience as satisfying the practicalities.
You now need to provide mobile technology solutions such as desk booking software to simplify the scheduling process. Connected with other workplace technology such as desk panels they can provide a wonderfully safe and fast touch free check in process.
Your workplace will continue to evolve, and data from the desk booking system and occupancy sensors will continue to provide the perfect platform for data driven decisions whatever the circumstances. Because as we’ve all found out in the last year, it pays to be prepared for everything…