Conference rooms are often boring and uninspiring, stifling creativity and innovation.
Check out our out-of-the-box conference room ideas that can help to spark creativity and innovation and how technology can streamline the whole conference room booking experience.
Nine ideas to enliven your conference rooms
A room with a view: People are more creative when they have access to natural light and views of nature.
A study by Roger Ulrich, et al “The Role of Daylight in Affect, Cognition, and Performance.” (2004) found that:
- People who had access to natural light and views of nature reported feeling more invigorated, alert, and active.
- They also had better cognitive function, as measured by their performance on tasks such as attention, memory, and problem-solving.
- Finally, they performed better on tasks that required creativity, such as brainstorming and idea generation.
If you are looking to create a conference room that is conducive to creativity and innovation, then making sure it has access to natural light is a great place to start.
Utilize movable furniture: This allows for different configurations of the room, which can help to facilitate different types of brainstorming and collaboration.
Ways you can utilize movable furniture:
- Traditional conference table: This is a good option for formal meetings where everyone needs to be able to see and hear each other.
- Round table: An informal option that encourages collaboration and discussion. It is also a good option for brainstorming sessions, as it allows everyone to see each other and participate equally.
- Beanbag chairs: A fun and comfortable option that can help to create a relaxed atmosphere.
- Standing desks: Standing desks can help to keep people energized and focused during brainstorming sessions.
Get creative with lighting: This can help to set the mood for creativity and innovation.
How you can be creative with lighting:
- Use different colors: This can have different effects on mood and productivity. For example, blue light is often associated with alertness and focus, while red light is often associated with relaxation and creativity.
- Use dimming controls: For example, you might want to use brighter light for brainstorming sessions and dimmer light for relaxation breaks.
- Use task-specific lighting: Task-specific lighting is designed to illuminate specific areas of the room, such as the whiteboard or the presentation area.
- Use accent lighting: Accent lighting is used to highlight specific features in the room, such as artwork or architectural details helping to create a more stimulating environment.
Utilize unusual features: This could be anything from a chalkboard wall to a beanbag chair. The goal is to create a space that is fun and inviting which encourages people to think outside the box.
Some ideas for unusual features you can add to a conference room:
- Chalkboard wall: A chalkboard wall is a great way to encourage collaboration and brainstorming. People can use the wall to jot down ideas or sketch out concepts.
- Hammock chairs: Hammock chairs are a comfortable alternative to traditional chairs. They can help to create a more relaxed atmosphere in the conference room, and they can also be a fun and unique way to sit during a meeting.
- Standing desks: Standing desks can help to keep people energized and focused during meetings.
- Plants: They help to improve air quality and reduce stress levels, which can lead to improved focus and productivity. They can also add a touch of nature to the conference room, which can be beneficial for creativity and innovation.
- Art: Art can help to break up the monotony of the walls and create a more visually appealing space. It can also help to evoke certain emotions or moods, which can contribute to the overall atmosphere of the room.
- Games and puzzles: Games and puzzles can be a fun and engaging way to break up the monotony of a meeting. They can also help to promote teamwork and collaboration.
Access to technology: This could include whiteboards, projectors, and other tools that can help people to share ideas and collaborate.
- Whiteboards: Whiteboards are a great way to brainstorm and share ideas. They can be used to visualize concepts, brainstorm solutions, and track progress.
- Projectors: Projectors can be used to display presentations, videos, and other visuals.
- Interactive whiteboards: Interactive whiteboards are a more advanced version of whiteboards. They allow users to interact with the board using a stylus or their fingers.
- Webcams: Webcams can be used to connect with people remotely. This can be helpful for brainstorming sessions with team members who are not located in the same office.
- Collaboration tools: There are a variety of collaboration tools available that can be used to share ideas and collaborate online. These tools can be used to create shared documents, spreadsheets, and presentations. They can also be used to chat, video conference, and share files.
Using a room in a different part of the office: This can help to break up the monotony of traditional conference rooms and create a more stimulating environment.
- Change of scenery: Simply moving to a different part of the office can help to change the atmosphere and create a more stimulating environment. This is because people are more likely to be creative and engaged in new surroundings.
- Different furniture: Using different furniture in the conference room can also help to create a more stimulating environment. For example, using comfortable seating can help to create a more relaxed atmosphere, while using tables and chairs that can be easily moved around can help to facilitate different types of activities.
A conference room that is designed for specific purposes: For example, a brainstorming room might have different furniture and features than a meeting room for presentations.
Here are some examples:
- Brainstorming room: A brainstorming room should be designed to encourage creativity and collaboration. This means using furniture that is comfortable and inviting, such as beanbag chairs or couches.
- Meeting room for presentations: A meeting room for presentations should be designed to facilitate clear communication and engagement. This means using furniture that is arranged in a way that allows everyone to see and hear the presenter, such as a U-shaped table or a theater-style seating arrangement.
- Interview room: An interview room should be designed to create a comfortable and professional atmosphere. This means using furniture that is arranged in a way that allows the interviewer and interviewee to have a private conversation, such as a table with two chairs. The room should also be free from distractions, such as noise and bright light.
- Training room: A training room should be designed to facilitate learning and collaboration. This means using furniture that is arranged in a way that allows participants to interact with each other and the instructor, such as tables and chairs that can be easily moved around.
- Confidential meeting room: A confidential meeting room should be designed to protect sensitive information. This means using furniture that is arranged in a way that prevents eavesdropping, such as a soundproof room or a room with a privacy screen. The room should also be equipped with security features, such as a lock on the door and a security camera.
A conference room that is decorated with inspirational quotes or images: This can help to create a positive and productive atmosphere.
Some ways that inspirational quotes or images can be used:
- Quotes: Inspirational quotes can be displayed on the walls of the conference room, or they can be used as table centerpieces or other decorations. Quotes that focus on creativity, innovation, and collaboration are a good choice for conference rooms.
- Images: Images of nature, positive people, or successful businesses can also be used to create a positive atmosphere in a conference room. These images can help to remind people of the good things in life and motivate them to achieve their goals.
- Artwork: Artwork that is meaningful to the team or company can also be used to create a positive atmosphere in a conference room. This could include paintings, sculptures, or other objects that represent the company’s values or mission.
A conference room that is named in a creative way: This can help to set the tone for the meeting and encourage people to think creatively.
Here are some ways that a creative conference room name can set the tone:
- The name should be relevant to the purpose of the meeting. For example, a brainstorming room might be named “The Think Tank” or “The Innovation Station.”
- The name should be positive and uplifting. A name like “The Creative Cave” or “The Brainstorm Bonanza” is more likely to set a positive tone than a name like “The Problem Room” or “The Struggle Session.”
- The name should be memorable. A name that is easy to remember will help people to associate the room with creativity and innovation.
- The name should be unique. A unique name will help the room stand out from the rest and make it more memorable.
- The name should be fun. A fun name will help to create a relaxed and enjoyable atmosphere, which is conducive to creativity.
Revolutionizing the booking experience with the right technology stack
Having applied new thinking to the conference room experience you need to look at getting the right technology stack to make the booking experience seamless. Let’s explore how a solution like the Rendezvous conference room booking software enhances this.
Mobile booking – the Rendezvous conference room booking software is designed to be mobile first so conference room booking can be easily achieved even when your hybrid workers are away from the office.
With a few taps on the screen, a meeting room can be chosen and booked in moments whether they are working from home, in a coffee shop or just needing to book a room quickly on the fly.
Microsoft Exchange/365 integration – As soon as a meeting is booked in the Rendezvous conference room scheduling system all the attendees and the organizer’s Outlook calendars are updated in Outlook – a rock-solid solution which saves any manual rekeying.
The integration works both ways – users can tap a dedicated room booking icon in their Outlook calendar and book a room without ever having to leave Outlook. For added convenience, Rendezvous has a QuickBook feature which is an online conference room scheduling tool which enables PAs to book rooms in a few moments – saving hours of time each year.
All changes are automatically updated in attendees, organizers and service providers’ calendars so all meetings are conducted seamlessly.
Integration with digital signage and room panels – Rendezvous conference room booking software works seamlessly with digital signage and in room panels. This makes for a great employee experience – they can see immediately on the digital signage screen the meeting details. Staff can even use the panels to book the room if it is free – straight from the screen. The room panels can be used to book additional refreshments, launch a Teams/Zoom/Webex meeting or report an AV issue.
An enhanced video conference experience – Thanks to integration with video conference platforms such as Teams, Zoom and Webex, video conferences are easily organized, with Rendezvous managing multiple time zones and locations. In addition, VC start and end points are fully automated – saving a great deal of time.
Vended services management – Teas/coffees, light refreshments and audio visual can be organized in seconds thanks to Rendezvous’ intuitive user interface. Any changes – such as meeting cancellations or additional orders – are immediately communicated to the service team. Food waste becomes a thing of the past.
Integration with visitor management – Integration with the conference room booking software ensures that all guests receive email confirmation as soon as the meeting is booked. Visitors can check themselves into the building using QR codes, the reception team can print professional badges and the security team are always kept abreast of who is in the building.
There are a number of measures which you can take to improve the meeting experience from lighting to in-room technology to rethinking furniture and more. Your aim should be to build the ultimate conference room.
The Rendezvous conference room booking software helps bring everything together by streamlining the conference room booking experience. All the constituent parts of the meeting experience from visitor management to ordering refreshments to organizing video conferences and more can be easily accomplished using the conference room scheduling software. Conference scheduling has never been easier.
Getting the balance right takes time – we hope you can benefit from these ideas.